Monday, July 12, 2010

Responsibility

Shalom!

Internal character development is key to becoming a leader...when you "give your word" to someone, it should be mean something...that person should be able to depend on you to follow through with what you said you would do...

Today, it seems as though people "give their word" without any firm commitment to backing it up...to fulfilling the promise they made by saying they would do thus and so...it is all too expedient to get what you want without any repercussions...there is no honesty behind the spoken words...it gets tiring...

In my work and world, promises made mean they must be fulfilled...people depend on me doing what I have said I would do...even if I am tired...or not feeling well...or have other situations that arise, I must do what I said I would do...the work we do with Israel and Her Children is far too important to "play" with promises...or worse yet, to not meet deadlines that are critical...

Something has happened to our society...pledges mean little...playing trumps working...the quick trumps the slow...and I find myself usually left holding the bag because those who said they would do what was agreed upon fail to meet deadlines...or worry about honoring verbal commitments made...

Lesson learned: when I get burned by those who fail to do what they have said they would do, rather than trusting again so quickly, I need to add a layer of insulation to ward off the instant trust that I mistakenly give so quickly...the broken promises have nearly obliterated the windshield.

I resolve to vet people and situations far more thoroughly...it is always me that gets burned.

No comments:

Post a Comment